05 October, 2008

We seek after these things

"We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." from the thirteenth article of faith.
Home schooling Alona was the length of three days. I bought curriculum, I prepared lessons, taught my children things that they could only learn in such a small setting. Wednesday Alona after doing really well with learning and listening was overly frustrated and having trouble with listening in a simple , I thought fun task. She expressed how this was no fun and she wanted to be with other children. She was not happy learning alone, but more so being alone without the other children her age. Paul talked to her, gave her a blessing and we went to the near by school where she saw the classroom and met the teacher. We agreed that she could go as long as she listened to Mom when she got home. Alona should be challenged, be able to learn, and I will provide things that the school is not. They will provide friends and play time with others her age.

When I was at my sister's getting ready to come home I was praying about where to put her and felt strongly to put her in Provost, an Elementary school down here . I wanted to put her in the other one if I would put her in to school. The spirit was not showing that what I wanted was best. I didn't listen the first few days and attempted to home school her, not a good choice. I wanted Farrer Elementary because I knew a few other moms who sent their children there, and Alona's best friend went there as well. We got home and her best friend and her family had vacated their home on orders from their Lanlord, so that he could move in his niece. Coming home, we found that the only other children around here (one family of two school children) went to Provost Elementary. The spirit really KNEW where Alona should go, I see that.
Now for how the article of faith applies to this"virtuous, lovely, good report, praiseworthy." These things fall under those words:
School makes her happy, it provides friends and play time.
Kacen and Abbi get more mommy time and more quality time for them to learn and grow
Mommy will be able to not be so stressed out or angry, trying to wrangle two children while teaching the third. The children will benefit from this also. My spirituality will benefit from this as well, I jumped at my two younger ones more while teaching Alona especially Abbi. I even spanked her one day when she wouldn't stop peeing her pants, this really effects Abbi and me, the guilt that I feel after spanking her is horrid and do not wish to endure that or have her be afraid. I can give her more of an enriching environment while Alona is at school.
I really wanted to home school, I love teaching Alona. I have loved teaching her the past six years. Alona can tell you what time it is, if the big hand is on the 12, She knows her letters, the sounds that they make, can read, she can do basic math, she can spell her own words by sounding them out, she knows the days of the week, she can say and writer up to 20, she is learning to count by tens and all about money.She knows much of the stories from the book of mormon, the prophets from there and some from the bible.
But now, I need to put that aside, let her go and grow up and have a part of her own life. I will teach her the things that the school will neglect this year that she has a desire to learn when she is home, and put the more part of my focus on enlightening my two younger children. They have SO much to learn!

2 comments:

CrunchyChick said...

Sometimes, the hardest choices we make as parents turn out to be the most rewarding in the long run. Good for you that you were able to consider all your children's needs and your own in this tough decision. :)

HUGS from Alaska! Keep on growing those beautiful children!

Arin Rohrbach said...

I've actually researched Provost quite a bit and their test scores were some of the highest in the state. They are actually a high ranked school. Hyrum went there for a few weeks before switching to Reagan and he actually had more homework at Provost.

I understand how hard it is to make that decision. Hyrum was already going to Provost and enjoying himself there with Alex Dome, but then we got the call from Reagan 2 weeks into the school year that there was a spot open. I really wanted him to go to Reagan, but I didn't want to pull him from school. I wanted to make sure I was doing what was best for him, and not just what I thought was best for him. I prayed and prayed about it and finally got the answer that I should switch him. It was actually a hard choice to make, but I'm glad the Lord knows my son even better than me.

Good for you for working so hard with Alona and I think it's great that you supplement learning at home. Even the best school on Earth can't teach everything. Hyrum and I still work on sight works, writing, and math every day after school.

Glad to have you guys back again and hope we can get together sometime to play.