16 October, 2008

one of the most irritating questions

So in the past few weeks I have been asked by two relatives and by one ward member...
"So, What do YOU do all day?"
I truly wanted to start screaming at them, I held my cool and with the member of our ward that postulated this question I calmly answered: Well about every week I have a truckload of laundry, a few sink-fulls of dishes every day, I canned salsa and spaghetti sauce this past week.

So that was what I told him and then talking with Paul last night, I was questioning, Do you think I do nothing all day? And then I gave him a rundown of the days events, I woke up fed our children and got them dressed and got Alona out the door for school, then I Got Kacen and Abbi in the van and took them to story time at the library where I sat with Kacen and participated in the hand motions for all of the songs that they did. I brought them home and helped Abbi learn to draw a picture of herself on the paper that they gave her at the library, we then rushed out the door to pick up Alex and Alona from school, and Alex wanted to stay and play and so my children wanted to stay and play at the school play ground while I am sitting there trying to convince them to leave and all the while being very nauseous. We finally get home, have lunch and girls cleaned their room while I did the dishes. We then read books for forty minutes and then they watched a cartoon while I was on the phone trying to make an appointment, sitting on hold for forever and then we went for a walk and ended up at the neighbors and played. We rushed home and went with Paul in the van , had dinner, went up to Sundance to see the pretty leaves, rushed down to see our home teachers. We then put our children to bed after they left and I stayed up until midnight folding clothes. And yes, I do different things everyday, but how could someone ask me, "So, what do YOU do all day?" frustrating, and not good for my self esteem.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're right, that is frustrating.
its like when you are almost due and people keep saying YOURE STILL HERE?

Bagley Briefs said...

Maybe they were curious about what type of things you do during the day with the children.

Maybe the emphasis was on the Do instead of the You...
"What do you DO all day... what fun things do you do each day.

Anyway, sorry it was off putting.

One nice thing about you being home again is that you get to post more often. However, being the selfish person that I am, I loved having you closer to us.

See you soon!

Mandy said...

Don't you just love that people don't get that moms are SUPER busy? I have days where I feel lazy because I didn't get all the laundry or the dishes or whatever done. I think that moms are programmed to feel guilt more than others...

:) Well, hopefully I can help you out and give you a MUCH needed break. :)

Anonymous said...

to answer your question, yes we had a hard time conceiving anden, he is our miracle and i pray we have another someday!!!

Paul said...

I think you do more than your fair share of work. I respect the effort you put into keeping the house clean, taking care of our children's needs, taking care of anything I happen to miss when I make a mess, and still be kind a loving to all of us. see that you truly care for us, and I love you for that.

Love your "Hubband"