26 August, 2006

Realization-"Reality"

So me and Paul went and toured a birthing center as well. Knowing already that our insurance would only cover half of the costs. It was real nice, the midwife seemed more personal compared to an ob. They actually took the time for you and would give you a chance to actually think if you had any questions. Not like my doctor yesterday who took less than five minutes in my room. The midwife would actually be there for you, not just pop in for five minutes of the delivery...more like a friend, a helpmate.
There was a big jetted tub in one room, nice beds in all the rooms. Here is a picture of one of them. The nice bedding is actually removed and replaced with different bedding while you are there. The pretty stuff is just for show.They feed the father and mother before and after birth with food from Marie Callendars, mmm. With a hospital you have to wait hours to finally get food and of course there is none for the spouse, you have to run out and buy it. They said that they only kept you after the delivery for about four hours, that sounded nice. No nurses waking you up and annoying you every five minutes, pushing on your stomache and taking your blood pressure. You really get no sleep in a hospital with how much they wake you up to do stuff, it would really be nice to be at home. I also liked how they said that the baby is not taken away from its mother, he is kept in the room with her at all times. Not taken down the hall to a nursery an hour after birth without his/her mother in a little plastic bed on wheels(at the hospital they do not let you carry the baby down the hall you have to push the baby in the plastic bed, its protocal). And the father can go with to the nursery, I'm not sure if the mother can.
I really liked how you get to be in control of your own birth, feel what is right for you and the midwifes help with that. Doctors don't quite do that.
We do have one other insurance, medicaid. But the birthing center does not accept the plan of medicaid that we are on. And after talking to three or four ladies at medicaid, they will not switch us to the one that the birthing center takes. The cost of half of the birthing center is about $2200. More than what we have. So the debate, do we put ourselves in debt with nothing to fall back on so that we can have the birth that we want or do we just go with the safer option of having a small surplus of money, and going to the hospital where you have to coherse them to do things your way and sometimes you will get the results that you want. It sucks at times to be an adult, to outweigh things and know that you can't do it your way, you can't totally be happy. Paul has stressed to much about the money, for once it wasn't me. So I know that I need to go to the hospital and make the most of it and do things the way that I feel to all of the points that they will allow. I will just have to think of the most positive things that I can think of from the hospital. Umm...well with my first baby they gave me free stuff, maybe they will do that again? There is a television, but if I go in when I want I won't need it. And no matter where I go I will end up with the same results, my beautiful little boy in my arms!! Thats the most positive thing that I can think of.
So while we were touring the birthing center, Kelly took the kids home with him and they watched Toy Story. Kelly was surprised when I got there and he was talking about Alona watching the movie at home, when I told him that they don't watch much TV not even movies at home on weekdays he seemed very surprised. HE wondered what I did with them. Marta had gone to the chiropractor, hopefully she is feeling lots better. I think that she said she was. Right after Marta got home Kelly went right back to work on a van. Alona asked why is he going to work again? Marta said, "Because thats what he does."
Abbi kept saying turkey , turkey so I took them outside while Marta cooked dinner. The girls jumped on the trampoline. Alona actually jumps now! Before she would just use one foot at a time in the air and one on the ground to jump, she actually jumps with both feet in the air now.
After dinner Marta took the girls on the 4 wheeler and the on the trampoline again. They had a lot of fun, Abbi was very attached while there. She loves all of her grandparents and clings to them.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Life is full of hard and saddening choices, I am glad that luxury doesn't interfere with our family and the happiness the we enjoy when we are together. I know we could have alot nicer things and do alot of things differently, but we choose to save the money to go towards thing that will benefit our family. I really would enjoy the experience at the birthing center but I know it isn't practical right now, I wish I could provide better for our family to have all or aleast some of the nice things we want. I am really happy that I have an understanding wife who loves me without all the fancy stuff :)

Love you

Anonymous said...

I agree with Emily. You need to be happy with your choice! I am glad that you found a birthing center and that it can be an option. I wish insurance companies realized how inexpensive it is for them to pay for birthing centers, our cost was 3,500 and a hospital birth is estimated at 7,000. We didn't have to pay for the birthing center at all because my husband's insurance company sees that it is "cheaper" for them to pay for the prenatal, birth and postnatal care of a birthing center birth. Anyway, good luck with your choice-- I know you'll make the right one!

Bagley Briefs said...

You are right! It is tough making the oh so difficult choices we adults are forced to make - all of the time!

I know I can't fully appreciate the whole process of giving birth but you are so right when you say... no mater where you have your delivery, in the end you will have your beautiful baby boy to take home and enrich your life.

Enduring a sleepless night knowing you still have a safety net of savings, as opposed to going home with debt, will also be a comfort to you and Paul.

Hang in there!