23 August, 2006

Canning

So after seeing the tomatoes on Monday and how they had drastically gone from ripe and delicious looking to gross looking juices and a little mold on a few of them I knew that I had to do something fast.
So I looked up spaghetti sauce canning recipes on the internet, after I had found a salsa recipe in my cookbook. I printed out both recipes and went to the store. Last night I spent an hour after the girls had gone to bed and started, I boiled the tomatoes until the skins were ready to come off. And then I spent an HOUR peeling off the skins and taking out the seeds. Probably a bit too meticulous. I was able to clean up and get to bed a little after midnight. Then today while Abbi was taking a nap and of course Alona didn't want to rest for one second, in fact she said..."My brain tells me that I should play." I was able to finish the recipe, cook it all together put it into jars and process it during Abbi's two hour nap. It made four pint size jars of spaghetti sauce.
I still have a little more than twenty tomatoes left that aren't gros looking yet. I am debating whether or not to make a small batch of salsa, that will keep me up for awhile. I am supposed to return the canner tomorrow.

2 comments:

CrunchyChick said...

That is so cool that you know how to can! Looks tasty!

Bagley Briefs said...

Woohoo! I'm so proud of you, Heather! That was a big task to take on, especially with little ones under foot. I hope you felt a great sense of accomplishment when you were finished.

Love you!