29 May, 2006

Monday Night--Family Night

Tonight was the first night in a long time that we actually had family night on monday instead of Sunday night. Paul is usually gone to school on Monday nights so we cram in everything on sunday. Family night usually is more work for us as the parents than anything else. Alona really doesn't like to listen much, she likes things that are hands on so boring old lessons that I sometimes revert to don't work very well. Last week we talked about God's promises that we know that he has made and kept and then colored little booklets with what we talked about. Abbi didn't really want to color much, so Paul had fun with that. Alona enjoyed it and she is getting really good at coloring in the lines although she does choose some strange colors for things....blue hair, red/pink hands on people, its cute!

Tonight we went to the Salt Lake Temple after singing "I love to see the Temple" to show the girls where we would be going and what the temple looked like. We sand songs on the car ride there of course Alona's first pick was twinkle twinkle and then "the one about Nephi mom!" so we sand that one and Many other church songs and nursery rhymes.

Alona asked many questions..one about the doors, I explained to her that they don't use them anymore. And of course she says "Why" I told her that it would be too noisy(take away from the spirit) so people enter from the building with all of the glass that was in front of us. She asked who built the temple, "the pioneers". We commented on the flowers and she says yep they're there cause its summertime. Paul picked her up and she got to see/touch the "circles" as she called them. She wanted to touch all of the rest of them as well.

Abbi was really cute she wanted "OFF" as she says lately whenever she wants her seatbelt off to get up. Then she enjoyed climbing the stairs to the door to the temple. This was also the first time that she said "cheese" and she understood what it meant when she said it too. She would smile real big and say it. Then right before we were leaving she kept saying cheese and laughing hysterically. She had a laughing bug.

I wish that I could explain more to Paul about the temple before he goes. I know before I went that there were so many things that people could not tell me. He is cute he was asking about people just walking into the temple, I responded that they have people(temple workers) who check to make sure that you have a recommend. Then he says do they have bodygaurds. I am assuming to make sure that if people wanted to go in without one that they would not be permitted. I wouldn't think that people off the street would want to just walk into the temple, but who knows?

When you get up to the top of the stairs by the door they have this really neat-o cubby hole that is great for taking pictures. I guess the reason that I love the Salt Lake Temple a little more than the rest is because of the hardships that I know the pioneers and my ancestors went through to get here to Salt Lake and the struggles that the pioneers had with getting the temple started and completed, That is why I have choose it for doing my/our temple work.

There was a really neat visitors center on the south side ofthe temple. In it there were these three real cute doll houses that had televisions displayed in them. Alona really wanted to go in but it wasn't that kind of doll house. They had videos on the televisions that talked about different things about the gospel. One of the videos had children telling us where they thought our bodies and our spirits went when we died. I really enjoy those kinds of videos when they are depicted by small children.

3 comments:

CrunchyChick said...

I'm so happy to see your happy family! :) I love that you keep your blog updated. It helps me miss you guys less. A little less, but less it is. And I'll take what I can get!

I just can't find the right words to tell you how very happy I am. I just am.

Bagley Briefs said...

Heather, what a wonderful opportunity for Family Home Evening! I'm so happy you were able to share the evening together. Even though it was a cool, blustery evening, I'll bet you felt warm and happy while exploring the temple grounds. I'm sure this will be a wonderful memory for Alona, too. Abbi will love hearing about the memory as she grows even though she may not remember the actual event. It's great that you took photos too, we love seeing your happy faces. "Cheese" has a new meaning to me, now. I'll feel an extra giggle and smile when I hear someone coach..."Say Cheese".

Thanks again for sharing! :)

MartaMolly said...

It has been exhilarating to see your cute family grow in love and in the gospel. I realize that you have experienced a large portion of hardship and disappointment, and yet through your life you have summoned strength to go on in the face of adversity. Through the years you have been a great example to your sweetheart, Paul. I marvel as I watch you handle motherhood, what an amazing young mother you are!
Thank you for letting us share in so many grand things, I know I don't speak alone when I say you have endeared yourself to us all.
Luvya! Molly