29 January, 2009

second guessing the name

I want to give my baby the middle name of Franklin. It was my dads middle name, it is my grandfathers name(my moms dad).
My grandfather's dad had that name and his dad and the father before him.
My father's grandfather is also named Franklin.

I am second guessing the name though. This is personal, but it is bugging me... My dad from what I remember was good, he was a good dad to me. But he was sexually abusive to another family member. He was also abusive to his sisters growing up as well. He was in prison A LOT always got in to trouble and in the end he killed himself. When Jesse gets older, old enough to understand I don't want him thinking that I named him after a bad person. After my father and if any of the other men had not such great qualities. I want Jesse to be named after someone, great!

Will he understand that to me my dad was just that, though I was a child and to me I didn't know or see all of the other stuff. Will he know that that is a good name or be unhappy that that is the name that I put in there? I am having a hard time with this. And I really can not think of another name to put in there.

By the way and I found this weird that a family member did not know this. Jesse is a great name. Jesse was the father of King David in the bible mentioned, Jesse was the son of Obed, and grandson of Boaz and Ruth (Ruth 4:13-22). Jesse had eight sons and two daughters, but he is known to Bible History primarily because of his youngest son, the one who became King David. As such, Jesse was a key ancestor of Jesus Christ: "There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots ... In that day the root of Jesse shall stand as an ensign to the peoples; him shall the nations seek, and his dwellings shall be glorious.

Even though this is not why or how we picked Jesse. I thought that it was pretty amazing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you love your dad and you love your son, I think the two can go great together. Besides, you don't have to divulge all the information about your dad to him.

I hope you're doing well!

Mandy said...

I love the name Franklin. And I agree with Camille. If you loved your dad and you will love your son (and there was other family that he was going to be named after as well), then Franklin is a great name. I say do it. If you really have a bad feeling against it, then don't. Its funny, but kids really grow into their names. They just seem to "fit" them...

You are amazing. I hope you know that. :)

Paul said...

I'm sorry, can't help you on this one.