11 August, 2007

Puppy Pals

I was giving Abbi a bath, Kacen was right next to me holding onto to the outside of the tub. He had crawled right up next to me, and he had a marker in his hand. The next thing I knew he fell and the end of the marker went into his eyelid. It was a bad enough cut that I didn't know if I should take him in or not. I took him to an after hours pediatrician clinic, the doctor looked at his eye and could tell that he needed stitches. and that thank goodness nothing else was wrong with his eye. The doctor couldn't do it because Kacen needed anesthesia and the pediatrician couldn't do anesthetic. I did not understand that, but ok. So we (Me and all three children drove to the ER) for the third time in the past two months. We waited for an hour and then I finally asked the nurse how much longer of a wait that it would be, she directed me to a phone. The operator on the phone was like what, this is for registration, so we both agreed that the nurse at the ER desk was totally confused. I asked her again, oh your room is ready, lets go back!
It was atleast a half hour before they gave him anesthesia. It was an injection in his thigh that wanted to bleed afterward. It took a few minutes and then his eyes were wide open, he was lying on his back, not moving or making a sound... so very unnatural for my little 9 month old. The whole time that we were there I kept trying to call Paul, he no longer has an answering machine at work and no one would transfer me. I was trying to see if he could pick up the girls and take them home to bed. We were at the ER until 11:40, didn't make it home until past midnight and my children were still awake. We got home and Paul had been wondering where we had been. The doctor gave him six stitches, they are blue and now when he blinks it looks like he is wearing blue mascara. I'm not sure if you can see them in the pictures that I tried to take. I was more concerned with getting him to the doctor and getting Abbi out of the tub than taking pictures after he got hurt. It was a pretty gnarly cut.Paul asked if it went all the way through...No, it tore the skin so far apart and was so deep that it needed stitches to heal back together. He gets to be taken back to the ER triage on Wednesday to get his stitches taken out.
At the ER they gave us stickers of puppies, Alona told me, we are all puppy pals now, after her and Abbi shared their stickers with me and Kacen. They also watched Ella Enchanted and got little stuffed animals, juice and crackers. They weren't even phased by the screaming, bleeding brother who was getting stitches, amazing!

This morning the girls slept in until almost ten o'clock, this is unheard of!! Going to bed at midnight really did it to them. I was able to be up early enough clean and make pancakes! Kacen ate a blueberry pancake! He really enjoys them, especially sideways.:)

3 comments:

CrunchyChick said...

Oh no! Poor baby. I want to give him kisses. He looks like he's doing okay and that he handled it well. I'm glad his eye is okay!

Kasynia said...

That is terrifying! I want to give you all big hugs. Poor things.

Charmalee said...

Heather, This was the only way I could think of to reach you. I'm so sorry to hear about Kacen. I'm so glad it was just stitchs and his vision is okay, what a scary experience for all of you.
Call me at the office, I need to talk to you about Wednesday the 22nd.
Thanks, Charmalee