15 March, 2007

First Day


Her first day went too smooth! I dropped her off ten minutes early and got to meet one of the assistants or teachers helpers. She seemed really nice and told me what the community playgroup was all about, what they taught and what they did. I asked her if they taught the children how to read. They don't, they have a letter of the day and the teacher reads to them. She implied that most children aren't ready to read yet, it all depended on how much the parents work with their children. Alona is already reading small words. They have story time, free time where they interact with the other children and play with the toys in the classroom, they make things by cutting out with scissors, coloring, etc. and they also have a snack. The snack for her first day, green goldfish and green milk, they had fun with Saint Patricks Day. I got there just as they were getting ready to go outside to play and wait for the parents, so I took a picture of the classroom door and went outside and took pictures of her playing. She had a great time and there were many children her age there! She was so excited to go that she actually let me do her hair without putting up a fuss! She adored her shirt that she got to wear too.
We came home to four children! What four?! Yeppers I watched my friends two children for her yesterday. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It was actually very rewarding and kept me on my toes and when focusing more on children and making them happy and entertained I worry a lot less if I am happy and it just comes naturally! We went to the park, read stories, blew bubbles, played in our backyard, watched cartoons, played with toys, had two different meals and they were tired out and fell asleep on their own or just came and lied down around three o'clock. Their mom came a little after that to pick them up. Overall it was a great day! I have actually had thoughts of doing this for her more than once a week, her babysitter quit on her and I would love to help.

1 comment:

Bagley Briefs said...

Oh, what a wonderful day! I'm so glad Alona has the opportunity to learn, play and make new friends. She looks so cute in her green shirt, too! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

It's so nice you were able to care for your friend's children. I'm sure she really appreciates your support. It is interesting, and wonderful, that the experience has a positive affect on you. I'm sure I would be majored stressed.

As always, thanks for sharing your life with us!


Love you.