06 June, 2009

Here he is!

I started having contractions right after Paul left for work at about 3:00 p.m. and started timing them on a contraction timer web page. The contractions were 3-5 minutes a part and lasting about 90 seconds They weren't so painful that I knew, hey this was it or anything by those means. But after 5 hours of laboring around the house, wanting my children not to talk to me during my contractions and soaking in the tub and having them not go away I figured that it would be a good idea to go in to the hospital at least to get checked and see if they would keep me. I never really do know when it is time to go the hospital, even being my forth baby I was a little uncertain.

I was having contractions for 6 1/2 hours by the time that I got to the hospital. They got me all hooked up and checked me, I had gone from 3+ centimeters the day before to 5 centimeters when I arrived at the hospital. They still didn't know if they were going to keep me, they said they would wait an hour and a half and if I had progressed then they would keep me. I layed down and walked the halls for awhile they checked me after midnight and I was 6+ centimeters. They were keeping me. The nurse brought in an iv bag, I asked her, What are you doing with that? I don't want one of those! She took it away quickly!! But was very surprised, most women that come in to that hospital opt for the iv and epi.
The Doctor on call broke my water, the next part took the longest, getting to 8 centimeters. It took about three hours she said that I was an eight, I went and labored in the shower, which felt great. Paul was in there with me, reaching in through the curtain during contractions and streaming the water from the shower head on to the main points of pressure and pain. I must have been louder than I thought at this point.
Even the people in the room knew when I was having contractions.

A little while later I told the nurse that I was feeling pressure, I got on the bed and she checked me, still an 8 she said. I told her that the baby was right there. She didn't think that I was that close and told me to get on my hands and knees on the bed to labor, telling me that a new position would help and surely it did. I had only two contractions while in that position, telling her that I HAD to push the baby out NOW! She said that she would check me while I was on my hands and knees and that I didn't need to move. She checked me, I was at a ten and the baby was in fact all ready on its way out. I had to have help getting in to position and started pushing even before the doctor was in there. The nurse told me to go ahead. My husband later told me that the baby's head was all ready almost out by the time that he and the nurse held on to my legs to help me push. The doctor did not have time to prep the bed, to get out the lighting or to call my ob. Nurses came in and pulled down the lighting and got things ready while the dr. was i position ready to catch. I was yelling at the doctor to just take him out! Silly me, He tells me he is just there to catch, I have to do all the work and push the baby out. I knew this, I am thinking I am wanting the baby out without all the pain that comes at the end. I can dream that a baby can magically come out without effort :) I pushed twice and the head was all the way out, The doctor had to turn the baby's shoulders before I could push them out, one was facing the ceiling and one was facing the floor. He was all the way out in less than two minutes. What a relief that is to have the baby all the way out. Delivering the placenta doesn't feel like anything. I was still having more pain than I was used to after having just delivered. My husband and sister said that I soaked many bed liners with blood, the cramping was worse than the contractions that I had at home before coming in to have Jesse.
I lost a lot of blood, I didn't have an i.v. so they immediately gave me two different shots one to help my uterus contract and the other to stop the bleeding. I got to hold Jesse only for a second after my husband cut the cord and then they took him over to check him out. What a beautiful baby!
His heart was skipping a beat and he was having a hard time breathing, his blood sugar was real low and so was his oxygen. They took him immediately, I didn't get more time with him. They did an EKG, gave him oxygen and also an ounce of formula from a tube going in through his nose and down to his stomach. After six hours they brought him up to the room, the EKG showed that his heart was fine, the oxygen levels had evened out and after the formula his blood sugars were up and staying at a good level. They continued to periodically monitor him, and he kept doing great. We got home a few hours ago.
This is my second roughest recovery, I had pinched nerves in my legs, I am still extremely swollen, it hurts to walk due to having a baby and the cramping is painful. Jesse is doing well, staying up all night and sleeping lots during the day and eating like a champ now after being very sleepy the first day.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

The picture with the doctors and the oxygen scares me...

But he looks like a beautiful little boy!!! :) Congrats again to your wonderful little family! :)

Let me know when I can come get the other kids! :)

Arin Rohrbach said...

Congratulations. I don't know how you do it natural. You must be way tougher than me :) I have family in town this whole week, but I'm planning on taking your kids for a few afternoons next week. Good luck with the recovery. He's a cutie.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!