04 April, 2008

Little Seeds Lie Fast Asleep

This past week or so was full of stuff.
1. On Friday the 28th we had Family Home Evening on Gardening and we planted many seeds. We planted lettuce, tomato, pumpkin and have some peppers that we can still put in to some soil. Every day for a week we took them down from the window sill to look and see if anything had sprouted yet... Our tomatoes erupted out of their seeds and the soil on Friday and we are still waiting for the lettuce to make its presence known. I am thinking that these might be duds :( Our pumpkin came out of its shell and Alona commented how its roots looked like worms, another week or two and it will sprout up.

2. On Monday Marta came and took the girls to her house for the night. I got a call on Tuesday and asked her when they are coming home, I do believe Marta said "tomorrow" and so the girls stayed another night. I missed them immensely, though I know that they had much fun at Grandma's. I was able to actually clean the house. What with Kacen taking naps and going to bed at a nice time I got a lot done and it didn't get messy again until minutes later after the other children got home. There was a funeral on Monday in our ward and I was able to take Kacen and have him hang out there while I tried to help. I found him a fire truck that he would drive over to the chocolate cake to sneak a few bites.I ended up giving it to him and he didn't care to wait for silverware, kids sure are cute and fun.

3.Paul came down with a Kidney infection this past week. He managed to get in to the Doctor on Monday. They sent him to the hospital to get a CT scan and it showed that his kidney was twice the size of a normal kidney. While he was at the Doctor, they told him, your kidney could explode, but you'll know before that happens. So he got some antibiotics and pain meds of which he ran out of yesterday. Hopefully he can get back in to the Doctor on Monday and starts feeling better soon.

4. Friday we had Family Home Evening on Journals. We were talking about writing in them and Abbi says, "Once upon a time, Abbi..." she was getting ready to create a wonderful story to put in her journal. Alona wanted to write "I don't know what to write" in her journal. I told her that when she thought of something that I would put it in there. But that is all she wanted. I have copies of journal entries and life stories of ancestors and I pulled those out to show them. One was of Edmund Durfee who was killed in Nauvoo and never made it across the plains. Another of Dominicus Carter who went on a mission for the church in 1844 and his journal from a portion of his mission was in the papers. I told Alona I would read those to her later. I also showed her the journals that I have kept and she asked why I had so many, because I have lived a while and if you write in them often you will have many journals we also read an exerpt from Pres Eyring's talk from the October General Conference titled, "O Remember, Remember".

5.General Conference started yesterday, we tried to play bingo with the things that were said in the talks, we were able to print the bingo from an email that Caren sent us, thanks Grandma! That lasted a short while and then in between sessions we went to the park to have fun and get out some energy. We played hungry hungry hippos, they really enjoyed playing, Abbi would take marbles from my hippos tummy and put them in hers. Even if her hippo wasn't good at getting them in his mouth that hungry hippo was going to eat! We learned a little about the hippos too, "they eat marbles for pretend, but what do they really eat" my children asked they eat 25-40 lbs of grass a night. So I told Alona they eat as much grass as one of you a night.

6.This is a picture of the kids in the cupboard last night. Kacen gets in to the cupboard little by little by pulling every little thing out of it and is very gentle to set all of the breakables down lightly on the kitchen floor. The girls wanted to join him.

7. I have been reading like a mad woman, while Grandma had the girls Kacen and I went to the library, just the two of us. He pulled books down from the shelves as he was running from mommy and laughing. It was like tag and hide and seek at the same time. The books that he pulled down were by lds authors as stated on the binding. So I put them in our bag for check out. One of them was called "Tempest Tossed" I have read that one it was all right. A woman who after the birth of her son and death of her mother and a challenging career starts taking anti-depressants. She gets addicted to these narcotics and falls off the deep end but thank goodness for the man that was there for her, guided by God to marry her and support her and her son. I also read The Barrington Family Saga by Anita Stansfield well the first three books, there is one other that I am waiting for, it is on hold at the library. Those are all very good. Silly me, I read every book that I have read in just one night. I am not a speed reader by any means it takes me 3-6 hours to read these books and much sleep is given up over them.
8. We got a good deal by going to the D.I. for shoes for Kacen. We left his shoes at Grandma Ruthie's and thought that we had lost his other church shoe, so I went to look and found a pair of nice shoes for only three dollars and another pair of the next size up for only four dollars. The four dollar pair of shoes look almost brand new!


We are going to see a magician at the library on Monday!

1 comment:

Paul said...

I still don't get how you miss the children while they were gone, especially since it was only two days silly. But I guess we think and feel differently. I am glad we started the plant growing project for our family, it's a good experience for us all, since we each get to see what it's like to grow plants from seeds, and taking care of them. Thank you for the great idea :)

I love you!