25 July, 2010

Home can be a Heaven on Earth

Today Jesse was being really cranky before church. Our Sacrament starts at 11:00, and at 10:30, I just about had everyone ready. Girls and Kacen were all dressed, Jesse had his socks and pants on. And well, I was getting there. I am always last, getting five ready by yourself is no easy task, though it has gotten better since they keep learning to do more things by themselves.

Jesse got to a point where if I wasn't holding him he would scream and throw himself back on the floor or in my arms if I was holding him sitting down and not standing up. Jesse is still nursed when he wakes up in the morning, before he goes down for his nap and at bed time at night. So I figured I would get on with it and try putting him down for his nap.

I got him ready, in his crib and after about 10 minutes of crying, to sleep! But then the dilemma.. There was still church to attend. I am a stalwart church attendee, every week I am there! Each Sunday, for the longest time, I have attended church (all 3 hours) by myself with three and then four children. Though with my little guy, Jesse it has been more along the lines of enduring sacrament trying to keep everyone in our aisle or row of chairs without too much screaming, fighting or noise and then spend the rest of the two hour block of church wrestling with a 13 month old little guy to stop screaming, stay out of other people's bags, strollers, car seats, etc or keeping him safe on the stairs up to the nursery that he loves to climb!

Church from about seven months ago and probably for about another seven or so more months, doesn't involve much calm, learning or uplifting moments for me. I decided to let Jesse sleep in his crib (no he was not alone) while I ran the others to church and informed the counselor in the primary that my baby was asleep at home, and if it was all right with her if the older ones could stay in Primary I would come and get them when it was finished. I would be at home, with the sleeping baby, and keep my phone on hand!

So they were able to attend primary, and I headed back home. And not having my church time dedicated to keeping a 13 month old occupied, I was able to feel more calm, and uplifted than I have in a long time! Home in certain circumstances can be just what we need instead of the lessons awaiting us at church that we aren't able to hear! I am so grateful for the understanding of the Primary Counselor and the three hour nap that my baby took, and also for the time that I had for myself without it being between the hours of 11 pm and 3 am!!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I SO agree with you - sometimes being able to have time for yourself can be the uplifting moment that you need. Glad you were able to get it. :)

Nate said...

YEAH for alone time!!