20 September, 2009

Who are they trying to convince....?

Lying in bed with Paul this morning at 11:10, him half way conscious. Jesse in his crib just a few feet away, sleeping, blissfully unaware of his surroundings. His tummy filled and content. Me enjoying the moment I was in, not very often getting to be close to my spouse. The three cognitive children playing in the adjoining room together. Playing, no bickering, sharing, enjoyment. It all shatters, Abbi screaming down the hall, Alona following in pursuit, "I didn't hurt her!" repeatedly being shouted. It continues for a moment, then the realization... Mom's not out here. It hits them and the convictions they were at just a moment ago cease and the voices, silent. Opening of the bedroom door, loud voices.

I wonder who children are trying to convince when they exclaim, I didn't hurt her/ him. Is it me or themselves? The underlying story, the sibling really did get hurt by the other sibling. But guilt and liability seem to be vacant when they are convinced it was an accident.

1 comment:

Paul said...

silly little children, they think they can fool us in so many ways I.E. hiding food to get the after dinner treat, or the acknowledgment for eating good. I guess we'll never know what drives these intentions, I know I'd never trust a study done on this since grown ups are still children, we just don't ever realize or admit it.