22 September, 2009

Mr. Mom

I love this song so much. when I first heard it I was addicted. It has most of a mothers work in it with a fun twist. Being a mom is definitely not about watching television and taking long naps. I dont think I have taken a nap in a very long time. Moms work hard, but dont get to rest when they go anywhere.
And well with me, pul cloth diaper covers dont melt in our dryer neither do the prefolds or bg's! Maybe I should change a few words in the song. Being a mom is definitely more than any maid can take. Mother's do the job of school teacher, maid, chauffeur, coach, hair stylist, chef, seamstress, Sunday school teacher. All the jobs put in to one make a Mother. I bet I missed a few of the jobs that mothers do too.
Instead of football, I have baseball. Baseball, soccer and ballet. Then squeeze in scouts and PTA! Alona is starting scouts this Friday and I am in the PTA :) With the shopping lists that I make its not the length its needing to go to three different stores to get what I need from the one to two page list.
Then there's story time at the library, three mile walks in the mornings. Though this morning it was 43 degrees so I don't know how much longer I'll be keeping that up. Maybe I will start walking later and then as its colder doing my work out video in the living room. Story time at the library is amazing. We have the greatest library that I have EVER been to. If you have never been to the Provo city Library, you need to come and check it out. story's told, puppet shows, songs, they are so interactive with the children. They also have library kids Junior that Alona gets the opportunity to go to. Also a library kids Senior for the older kids. In which they have a theme, read books about it and do a really fun craft with that theme in mind. She has made a fishing hat. a globe that shakes and little sparklies float all over and many others. There is also Monday night at the library, fun activities for the whole family. This next Monday the are having a juggler come :)
Balancing the check book is not one of my strong points. Just last night I asked Paul to help me make sure I don't spend money on items that don't have money set aside for them. I surely make it work on paper. But not when it comes to the real thing.
And I love the overall message that I get out of this, taking care of small children at home you are going to have some crazy, messy, unpredictable moments.


Lost my job, came home mad
Got a hug and kiss and that's too bad
She said I can go to work until you find another job
I thought I like the sound of that
Watch TV and take long naps
Go from a hand working dad to being Mr. Mom

Well
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the fifteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr. Mom

Baseball, soccer and ballet
Squeeze in Scouts and PTA
And there's that shopping list I made
That's seven pages long
How much smoke can one stove make
The kids won't eat my charcoal cake
It's more than any maid can take
Being Mr. Mom

Before I fall in bed tonight
If the dog didn't eat the classifieds
I'm gonna look just one more time

'Cause
Pampers melt in a Maytag dryer
Crayons go up one drawer higher
Rewind Barney for the eighteenth time
Breakfast, six naps at nine
There's bubble gum in the baby's hair
Sweet potatoes in my lazy chair
Been crazy all day long
Oh been crazy all day long and it's only Monday
Mr.Mom

Balancin' checkbooks, juggling bills
Thought there was nothing to it
Baby, now I know how you feel
What I don't know is how you do it

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I love that song too! :) It's one of those songs that make you laugh and smile and tear up just a little because it's so true. :)

I heard it on the radio the other day (and I haven't for quite a while) and I was thinking - I need to put that song / video on my music blog... I think now that you reminded me, that I may do it!