09 February, 2009

This is not just any house, this is a SPECIAL house

I heard from my sister on Saturday that my grandparents were moving out of their house. My Great Grandmother had been put in a nursing home and there was no point to paying everything still on two houses. So they moved in to where my Great Grandmother was living and will be selling their home. I had to go and see in case it was gutted and gone by the next time that I went down there. The front room is almost bare, the rest of the house was mostly in place but that won't be the case soon. I was happy to be able to see it one more time.
The girls were in the house with me. I told Alona, that there were a lot of memories in that house. We get there and she says, "Mom, I don't see any memories in here." I thought that was cute she also started talking about the house and said the title of the post along with other things. My Grandparents lived in that house since August of 1966(42 years and 5 months). There really are memories there in that house...
  • I lived there in the sixth grade
  • some of my last memories of living with my brothers are there.
  • My dad died when I lived there and I last saw him in that house.
  • I remember going over to my Grandmothers as a child for every holiday, going there after trick-or treating and ringing grandma's door bell too. Bringing our Easter baskets and Christmas presents and showing her what we got.
  • Many meals enjoyed in that kitchen.
  • Pictures and family get togethers, especially remember my uncle Kerry's homecoming from his mission.
  • My mother moved there when she was four, my uncle was six, their sister was two and their next brother was born there 4 months later followed by three other children.
    My aunts, uncles, mother and grandparent's memories have got to be endless.
I was really weird seeing my grandma in the house that her mother-in-law has been living in for a few years. She is quite positive in all of this and I give her credit for that. She is trying to make the house she is in now her home, which I am imagine is quite difficult. I wish I could be there to help more.

4 comments:

jayne wells said...

So glad you got to go and see it before it changes. Houses really do hold SO many memories!

Mandy said...

Kids can put things so wonderfully, can't they? A SPECIAL house. :) It's so true...

I feel that way about my grandparents house. It has been in the family since the late 1800s (when it was built). I lived there with them too. :) I fear that it will too soon be empty as well...

It was a sad post, but I am glad that you were able to go and see it again.

Jared said...

I can only imagine the number of memories you had in that house, as I had many different homes growing up; I really hope it ends up in good hands, Heather! Tell Paul 'Hi' for me, and I hope Kacen and the girls are doing well!

Jared

Paul said...

I always hated losing the memories of previous homes I lived in. Even today I struggle to remember even the slightest detail, when it would surely be so easy to remember if I had remained.