02 May, 2011

Noteworthy comments

In Church on Sunday (a few Sundays ago). The lesson was centered on trusting the Lord, trusting God. Joseph Smith had come up in the discussion and was talked about how he had went and prayed and had trusted God enough to answer his prayer. It was asked how do we come to trust in the Lord. It had come in to my minds view that Joseph Smith, whom was given as an example in the lesson had parents that taught him gospel principles, who had read the scriptures to/ with him. He had parents who helped him to develop that trust in the Lord. Having that parental involvement in finding that trust in the Lord in helping you to have instilled those values. Also, having parents that you know you can rely on and have shown that you can trust them, will probably enable you to trust in the Lord more easily, because you know that if he is anything like your parents that he will be there for you.

I had said this comment that you just have to be brave and put yourself out there especially when you haven't had parents that have shown you how to trust in the Lord. The response that I got back was not something that I expected. I feel that when we are sharing our thoughts and insights with women in the church, in a gospel setting that our comments, life experiences should not be looked at so lightly. No one knows the past that is behind us. I was told in response that the people raised by "goodly parents" all around us were actually the minority in the majority. As in my past, with my screwed up parents was common. No one should assume..

I feel that if she had really known me, she would not have thought that the parents and early childhood life was as common as all the families who did not have as "goodly" of parents.
I now feel more inclined to keep my past and the reflections that I have of it to myself in times when I would have otherwise shared tidbits of myself when it would have applied to the things that were being talked about with people that don't know me so well.

Every one has not so happy childhoods and parents who don't teach such principles, but that doesn't mean that the not so happy childhoods that we have are all the same. We all have different horrors from the past. Mine aren't any more difficult or more important than anyone, nor should they be diminished either.

-Years of drug abuse, partying, neglect
-Children who were ripped from the home
because of choices of their father
-Moving from shelter home,
to relatives homes, to foster homes
-A father who decided to take his own life
in the garage of the childhood home
---Brothers who were not able
to grow in the same home as the sisters
--A mother who could have tried to get her children back,
but doesn't even show up for court
and even after they have grown
isn't a part of my life or her grand children's.

Maybe I'm wrong but this doesn't seem so simple as just a parent not being "goodly" or not teaching their child trust or the principles of the gospel.
Everyone's comments and experiences should be Note-Worthy
and not brushed aside as common

3 comments:

Abigail said...

I too have learned that some people in the church tend to be very closed minded. I've struggled with it myself in some cases.

You are so strong and amazing for all you've had to deal with and how awesome you are!

Maria said...

I'm sorry. That is really frustrating. Some people are truely inconsiderate and do not stop to really listen to what you are actually saying, and not just hearing what they want to hear. From what I have seen you have done amazing from the background you had as a child, because you chose to be brave, and didnt let your past keep you back from who you are today.

MartaMolly said...

I can't stand that this happens... sharing deep feelings, being mis-understood or worse judged for them, then go home from a meeting feeling less esteem than when I arrived.
Man is not perfect only God and His Church.
Truth is we all have layers around us, yes even the instructor.
Love is more than a feeling. We can feel loved when we are accepted, cared for held in high esteem, but true love is seeing beyond the that which is before us. We can say we love and accept someone but when they act differently than expected can we see past an event or the passing moment and still the person before us clearly?
Take an orange for example, it may be beautiful in color and unmarred on the outside, but we really don't know what it tastes like until we take the time to uncover it from the rind and pith, it may be yellowed and dented or misshaped on the outside but that doesn't always indicate the nature of what awaits inside.
We can never know for sure if it is wonderfully sweet or bitter or sour until we fully try to apply the principles of compassion and Christ-like love.
Some would cast aside too quickly a chance to see with the heart, hear with the heart and respond with said heart.
When Jesus gave instruction to put spittle and mud on blind eyes and wash in filthy waters, the man could live a full and productive life for the first time, restoring more than sight to blind eyes, the blind man received Our Heavenly Fathers' blessing.
Christ suffered and died so we could live again in His presence, I believe a lot of Christians forget to whom they owe their existence, and if one does not measure up on the outside or the inside then perhaps a beam needs to be removed. We should never judge, for you are right Heather, we never know of the past trails walked and survived.
"As I have loved you" sums it all.
I see you,I hear you and I love you with all my heart.