07 January, 2011

Frenulectemy

So Wednesday Abbi had her dentist appointment, first was putting sealants on her six year molars that just came in. They put in this plastic piece that separates the teeth that the dental assistant is working on from the rest of the mouth and it also sucks out and fluids in there, and by doing both of these things it keeps the teeth that she is working on dry. Abbi starting gagging and choking during this procedure, it was not looking good, I had to tell her to squeeze my hand just to put sealants on.

So when the sealants were done and they took us back into the room where procedures were done. The dentists got my attention and let me know how concerned that he was about doing this procedure with Abbi. With how she reacted with just sealants being put on her teeth, he was worried about how she would react with being number and getting her frenulum cut out. That once the procedure was started he Had to finish, there was no turning back. I know that Abbi would need to have this done if we wanted her to have more room in her mouth for her grown up teeth, so I told him to go ahead and start the numbing and see how that goes. So he first numbs her and she squeezes my hand for that, no complaining, crying gagging, nothing!

She thinks its all pretty funny, feeling her lip, she starts giggling, Its big and puffy and feels really funny!! I was holding Jesse at the time and she grabbed his hand, "Jesse feel my lip... it feels R e a l l y funny!" The dentist came in to do the procedure and starts explaining to me what had to be done. I thought that just the extra piece of skin between her two top front teeth had to be cut out, but that was not the case, the frenulum, which includes the ligament that connects the lip to the gums needed to be cut out along with the spot on the inside of the mouth where it connects to the mouth and the piece in her gums all had to be cut out.

The dentist advised me not to look. I was holding Abbi's hand the whole time, and glanced over at Abbi a couple times, I so should not have done that. It made me sick to my stomach, the blood the knife to my daughter. I was ready to lose my lunch. I held it in, when the dentist was finished stitching her up he asked if I was all right, "no!". He pulled a chair under me, it calmed my stomach but thinking of Abbi like that still makes me uneasy.

Abbi definitely did not feel a thing, she didn't flinch just watched her movie while the procedure was being done, she was better at having this procedure done then have sealants on her teeth and amazingly better than Alona was. I remembered to give her pain medicine when we got home and she was fine, she enjoyed going and getting her soft foods that night, who wouldn't love ice cream, jello, applesauce, pudding and soup. She hasn't only had slight complaints about pain in the past few days and goes back in on Wednesday just for the dentist to see how she is healing.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Wow! Sounds like she was a champ! Good for her! And I'm with you - I hate seeing my kids in pain or seeing them hurt / bloody - anything like that. Not a fun experience for mom, but I'm sure it will be a helpful thing for little Abbi and she gets bigger, so good job, Mom :)