27 May, 2010

tubes




Here is Jesse right after I buckled him in to the van the morning of his surgery.
Not feeding him was one of the hardest things, and he was such a good sport. I would hold him and he would grab my shirt and scream. Putting him in to the car seat, he arched his back and tried to hold on to me. He actually fell asleep in the van on the way to the hospital for the surgery. As soon as he was unbuckled he was wide awake, much calmer, but still hungry. There was a little girl in the waiting room, a month older than Jesse that was getting tubes too, minutes after Jesse in fact. He played with her until they called us back.

He then got checked in, papers brought to me and signed by the surgeon, anesthesiologist and nurse. Bracelets were put on the both of us, cute little booties for Jesse and the littlest hospital gown I ever saw. I had brought a pear so that I could have something to eat while he was there, he found my treat and when his mean Mommy wouldn't let him eat, he decided that neither of us needed it and threw it on the floor, poor little boy, his tummy was hungry. He had fun playing in the rocking chair until they took him. The nurse comes in the room, takes the baby and walks swiftly out as to not cause too much separation anxiety, no chance to get a goodbye out to have the baby realize that he is leaving his Mom.
Jesse was only gone about fifteen minutes, they did an ear test, which he failed, let him breathe in some gas that put him out and made an incision in his ear drums and put the tubes in(blue that matches his eyes) and then they brought back a very hysterical baby. I nursed him, he would stop intermittently and scream and then go back to what he was doing. It was about an hour of screaming, crying, whining. He was calm on the drive over to the doctors office to be checked out by the RN. He needed to be checked to make sure that there was no blockage of the tubes from blood or anything else. It all looked good, and we go back in two weeks.

Later that day before I had to go pick up the other children, I had given him his ear drops and his right ear started to bleed. I was freaking out a little, wasn't sure if it was from him bonking his head, from the drops or what. So I called the nurse again, she reminded me of what she had told me at the office. I remembered what she had shown me, twisting up tissue to clean out ears, but what i hadn't realized when she had shown me this is that it would be to clean out blood in his ears as well as the excess fluids from impending ear infections. So the blood that had me freaked out was probably just dried blood that when the drops were added to the ears, was made wet and cleared out, and I am happy to say that there has been no more blood coming out of his ears!

The tubes will help him in that if he does get subsequent ear infections, the tubes will drain his ears so that the fluid wont collect and get infected, it will drain! Instead of staying in there for months.
Jesse has been using his voice so much more these past few days. He was into screaming on Wednesday, just to hear his scream :)

4 comments:

Paul said...

That was a fun morning, he was so calm for me, I was very surprised. I am glad he is doing so much better for us now, he even wakes up less at night than he did before! I love you, thanks for sharing :)

Mandy said...

He looked so mad in the first picture! Poor little dude, I would be too!

But I love the pictures of him in the hospital gown in the chair. Such a cute, smiley little guy. I'm glad he did good (and is still doing good!)

I would have been freaked out by the blood too! :) YIKES!

Bagley Briefs said...

The expression on his face in the first photo looks as if he wants to say.. Why? Why, Mommy are you not feeding me? Why?

Hope all is progressing well.

Linds said...

Glad everything went well. It is SO hard not to feed them and them see them in pain!