08 August, 2009

What it takes

Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers.

Be thou humble in thy calling, and the Lord thy God shall teach thee
To serve his children gladly with a pure and gentle love

These lines of the song Be thou Humble came to mind today. I had got the mail yesterday. There was a letter from the visiting teaching coordinator. I had ran my finger underneath the seal and opened the envelope but not taken out the letter. This morning I pulled out the letter, to my SHOCK I was given the assignment of visiting a new neighbor. My first thoughts when reading her name was I wonder if I called the visiting teaching coordinator if she would reassign this neighbor to another visiting teaching companionship. This neighbor has used many of my things in the yard without bothering to ask first. It has really struck a nerve with me. I teach my children to ask before they use others belongings so to see an adult do it really got to me.

And then I thought to myself... I need to get over myself. I teach my children to always be polite and kind and children are so forgiving even when others repeat an offense. I cant force an adult to be polite, I can not teach an adult to be polite. I can only repeatedly be polite myself and teach my children to do the same. I needed to be like my own children. And if I really have a hard time visiting this lady and being her friend with my predisposition to her, then I needed to pray, I Needed to be humble!

So this assignment is not what I wanted at all, but it is definitely what I needed to be more humble. I hope I can arise to the task, pray more, reach out to this sister and be more humble...

1 comment:

jayne wells said...

I'm proud of you Heather--that is something we ALL need, humility.
Jesse is so cute by the way.